So, It Begins...

Princeton Theological Seminary new student orientation has begun. It started off right with a service of worship. Lots of singing, the best sermon I've heard in a long time and tears.

Until recently, it took long pent-up emotion to have me in tears, but lately, all that's required is a well-placed worship song. During the service this afternoon we sang a Mozambican song called "Come, Worship Christ." As we sang the words "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! There is no one who will ever be like Jesus," I couldn't help but feel deliriously happy. Words are nuanced; to me, in that moment, the words of this song were like a deep sigh of relief. I can strive my whole life long to be like Jesus, and that's what I desire, but I will never even come close to the standard of love that he set...and that's okay! The thought made my voice quiver and break.

As we sang, raising our voices in community, I couldn't help but feel like I was home. Of the two-hundred or so people gathered, I had met only a handful, but it felt like every participant in worship was holding their arms open, ready to embrace our shared life, ready to continue the struggle, the journey, together. Coming together from places as far away as Myanmar, Thailand, Ghana and as close as north Jersey, Pennslvania, and Michigan, we all have the same goal: to honor and serve Christ and his body, the Church. That's powerful.

I've recognized several of my classmates as people who attended the same visit weekend as I did in February. I connected with these people and I'm glad to see them here again. One of my fellow Houghtonites sought me out at dinner. The last time we met it was awkward, this time was better. (RGR, he has a girlfriend...no worries :). Another student, with whom I've been corresponding this summer, also found me and we will be getting together soon to make some plans for the semester. Exciting stuff!

I have joy again and it's so happily overwhelming that my hard wrung tears are the only properly worshipful response. God has blessed me in this place. It will be difficult, there will be times I want to give up, but I'm here and I'm glad.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome home!

Kate said...

Why, thank ya!

Just Sarah said...

Wow! This sounds so great....can I come too? Is there enough room in your closet-at 5'1" I don't take up much room. Oh, and I like the new look of your site....blue is pretty.

Kate said...

My room is so freaking huge that you could move another bed in and live here with me. The professors might not even notice if you just don't talk in class...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm about 25 minutes south of you if you ever want to take a field trip. And I love to go out to lunch, especially if it means I may have to drive to Princeton and visit the bookstore :)

Kate said...

Well, knittinpreacher, I don't have a car. I'd be more than happy to go out for a cheap lunch near campus if you're ever around, though. My Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons are mostly free. And, of course, weekends are open.

Sue said...

Kate, this is just so exciting and wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Everyone's experience at seminary should be just like this! Mine was too, albeit at another school. I did a degree at PTS and I wish you a wonderful time. I suspect all the recent changes around there will make it a very positive place to be. :) Have breakfast at PJs and a cheesesteak for me!

p.s. There are NO cheap places anywhere in Princeton. ;)

Kate said...

Sue, thank you for the good wishes. It is indeed wonderful and exciting!

Prisca, I have heard from many many people that I need to go to PJs, so I'm sure I'll make it over there sometime in my three years here. So, you got a degree from PTS? Which program?

Terri said...

Hey Kate, I remember my first days at seminary...those years changed my life completely, in all the best of ways. I hope your time in seminary continues to be fulfilling and challenging in all the best of ways.
Mompriest

Kate said...

Thanks, mompriest! I certainly share your hope.

CoG said...

Seminary is a blast. Enjoy the ride.