RGBP Friday Five: Falling Up The Stairs...

This weeks Friday Five is about injuries. Such a topic plays to my constant night visions of falling down the two flights of stairs in the dorm. Excellent! Let's get started;

1) Are you a baby about small injuries? Nah, I tend to be the grin and bear it type. Sometimes it's fun to show off injuries, but I do it more to increase my level of coolness than to gain pity.

2) What's the silliest way you have ever hurt yourself? Maybe this isn't funny, but it was rather bizarre: One Sunday afternoon, circa summer 1995, I was jogging from my friend's car into my house to grab something we had forgotten and suddenly, without warning I felt a shooting pain in my ankle/foot. There was no visible cause of injury, but within a few hours my foot was bruised and swollen and I walked with a limp for the next two months or so. Conveniently, it was the day I was getting dunked in my Baptist church. Getting into the pool was quite a task with a painful foot.

3) Who took care of your boo-boos when you were a child? My Marvelous Mom!

4) Are you a good nurse when others have boo-boos? I'm much better with children who have boo-boos that with adults who have injuries and are acting like babies about it.

5) What's the worst accidental injury you've suffered? Did it require a trip to the Emergency Room? When I was five, my brother built a fort using old wood from a barn in our backyard. The floorboards of the fort had rusty nails through then that were sticking up from the floor. Within this fort, my big brother constructed a rickety "throne" out of some rotten wood and a lawn chair so that I could be a princess. Well, my wiggly, excited five-year old self quickly upset the throne and as I fell, two rusty nails stuck directly into my knee. It didn't bleed, so my mom thought I was lying about how badly my knee hurt. A few hours later, after my knee had swollen to about three times its normal size, we headed to the ER. The doctors eventually determined that nothing was really wrong, but I still couldn't walk for a few weeks and had to miss my first field trip ever. To this day, I have a scar on my knee that I like to introduce to people as my "snake bite."

UPDATE: See the comments section for an account of another of my worst accidental injuries. When I wrote this post, I completely forgot about my seemingly serious childhood head injury. Perhaps it did more damage than any of us thought...
Post a Comment