Offline

The DVR must go back to Comcast today. Actually, not just today, but in a little under one hour. this means that they will be shutting off internet service. The cable guy will not be plugging us back in until about 4 p.m., but then it's not my service, it's Emily's and Alyssa's because I no longer pay the bills here. So, this may be my last post until Monday unless Emily is going out to buy a wireless modem today...which I doubt (understandably not her top priority, since she doesn't have a computer yet).

It's going to be a hectic couple of days. It all begins this morning as I go out to return the DVR (I'm almost crying ;), donate six boxes of books to the library (more tears), and foist some clothes, stuffed animals and other household items on the Goodwill. The rest of today will be spent doing a final sweep of the house to be sure that I have all my belongings, helping Alyssa move her stuff into my empty bedroom, reorganizing and repacking my massive pile of junk, and waiting for the cable guy to reinstall my umbilical cord (probably late in the afternoon).

Tomorrow will be a sad day. It will be my last Sunday at the Falls Church, possibly the last ever. To my great delight, John Yates will be preaching the sermon. The rest of the day will be spent fidgeting, watching Alyssa take over my space, goofing off with Emily, reorganizing and repacking (yes, I'm slightly obsessive), and packing my car. Some time after midnight, Jule Ann, my new hero, will arrive to crash on my couch and then help me move in the morning. Can I just say that Jule Ann and I were merely acquaintances before blogging and now she's coming to my rescue with the packing and the moving. I heart blogging and bloggers!

Monday morning, I will finally get into my bulging-at-the-seams car and drive to Princeton, NJ, followed by Super Jule Ann! It's a fairly short trip, but it will feel like an eternity. I can hardly wait to get there!

UPDATE - Apparently getting a wireless router was one of Emily's priorities for the day, so we now have wireless and she does indeed have the laptop that is one of her help desk job perks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I feel all tributed and special. My only regret about this trip is that we will be traveling in separate cars so we can't spend all that driving time talking!

And you know, that Houghton three degrees thing is scary. I was scrolling through your flickr page when I noticed pictures of at least two people I knew well in your Africa files, and after about the tenth picture of Emily, it suddenly dawned on me that she doesn't just look familiar in a general sense, she looks an awful lot like Joel's little sister!

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

It really is unfortunate that we have to be in separate cars, but I will be only an hour away from Philly!

Anonymous said...

I just read through the last few posts. I love your shot of the preamble. One of my last hurrah things before moving out west was a visit to the National Portrait Gallery as well. I missed the dogs! Regret. Sigh. But I agree with you about the national portrait contest exhibit--fantastic!

Gotta differ with you on the National Building Museum. As a wanna be architect/interior designer, I loved it! My Dad, who was with me for the Green House exhibit, is now trying to convince me to buy a piece of industrial wasteland in California and transform it to a million dollar house.

Alas, the apartment I found this weekend will have to do.

Enjoy your drive/move! Exciting times.

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, I actually went to the National Building Museum because I read your blog post and saw your pictures from that visit. I must have stumbled into the wrong wings or something because I didn't see anything but closed off rooms and big empty spaces.