Hopeful/less

As my stack of belongings continues to grow, I am beginning to grow skeptical of my ability to pack everything into one car load. Some recent circumstances have made the possibility of two trips less viable, if not impossible. I'm going to do a test pack near the end of this week, but I'm not hopeful.

Anyone in Northern Virginia, Maryland, or DC want to make a charity run to Princeton, NJ on Monday, September 11? I could probably afford to buy you lunch. :)

I'm only half kidding...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've often sent some of my suitcases ahead by Greyhound. They have a cargo rate and give you a couple of days, I think, to pick them up before charging you extra. Since you are not traveling all that far, maybe the rates would be fairly low. They charge by weight and size.

Also, the post office has a media rate for sending books and cds, files of paperwork, anything that could be called media. The rates are much less than normal postage by weight. It often takes a little longer for these boxes to arrive, and there is a weight limit per box of about 70 pounds, I think. But I have used this service, as well.

Together, they were still cheaper than renting any kind of moving van or trailer. But it's probably cheaper to send the lightest weight stuff and put the heaviest in your car, when choosing between similar sized items.

Hope this was helpful.

Kate said...

VERY HELPFUL! I will be doing a test pack Thursday (geeky, I know) and then I will be able to determine whether my books and videos need to go through the mail. Thanks a ton!