RGBP Friday Five: Fender Bender

Will Smama, one of the RGBPs, was in a small fender bender this week. This Friday Five was created for her.

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss. I love driving on long, empty highways with some really great music (Matthew Good Band, Burlap to Cashmere, Radiohead, Rusted Root, Lincoln...) pumpin'. Driving into the city is my worst nightmare, however, so I don't drive much around DC.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket? I usually drive a bit over the speed limit. I've only gotten one speeding ticket for going nearly 85 mph in a 55 mph zone. Rural highways in NY just beg the car to go fast.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience? I've taken public transportation to work since I moved to the DC Metro area. Driving to work would cost me hundred of dollars a month... The law firm where I worked paid me $65 a month to ride the Metro. Generally it's been nice; I get to read and leave the driving up to someone else. In the summer it's hot and full of tourists, who don't know the "rules of the ride," if you will, that gets sort of annoying.

4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I've ever experienced. NEW JERSEY!! It's a good thing I'm moving there... Fortunately, I won't have to think about driving.

5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate? It took me about 45 minutes from my door to the office door. DC has the second longest commute (33 minutes), behind NYC, but I don't think they count peopleusing public transportation because some of my co-workers were on the train as much as 2 hours each way. 2 HOURS EACH WAY!!! When do you live?

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving? I try not to use my cell phone while driving because I'm really bad at concetrating o two things at once.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I agree with you on the New Jersey bit!!!