Attracting Readers

Recently, I happened across a list of suggestions on how to increase traffic to a blog. One of the suggestions that stood out to me was to disable commenting until you have a readership of several hundred. Apparently, people assume a blog is not worth reading if there are few comments.

For about a millisecond, I considered turning off the comments on this blog. Then the moment passed. I'm not in this blogging thing to get a huge audience. For me, it's a place to think and to have fun. If other people stop by and want to join me on the journey, that's fantastic! If they stop by and decide it's not worth staying, what do I care? :)

I also wonder...can a blog be a blog without commenters? Thoughts...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it ironic that no one commented on this entry. Sorry - you wrote it before I figured out that you had fallen off my blogroll. I think a blog is a blog with or without comments, and too many commenters can distance a reader more than too few. As much as I love dooce, I feel more connected to the bloggers that I have found since her who actually, you know, can acknowledge my presence.

Anonymous said...

It certainly is ironic, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that commenting from a regular blogger blog to a beta blog and vice-versa was a hellish ordeal, so a lot of people gave up trying.

I agree with you, though, it is a lot nicer to comment on a blog where you can actually get into a conversation with the original poster and it's not one-sided or a conversation only with other commenters.

On a side note, but verification word is "tubmud." Closest thing I've ever seen to a word.