Rambling About Books...

1. One book that changed your life: Harriet The Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh. This is the only children’s book I’ve read multiple times as an adult. Harriet made me want to learn everything!

2.
One book that you’ve read more than once: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Yes, yes, I know, that’s four books, but you can’t just read one. I’ve read these at least five times each. When people tell me they have no interest in reading these books, I question their sanity and intelligence.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Divine Conspiracy, by Dallas Willard. You thought I’d say the Bible, didn’t you? Well, that’s too easy and cliché. Mr. Willard definitely gets my vote.

4. One book that made you laugh: Don’t Stand Too Close to a Naked Man, by Tim Allen. My mom bought this for herself when I was in high school. I was reluctant to read it because I thought Tim Allen was sort of a tool, but the book (unlike his television show) was genuinely hilarious.

5. One book that made you cry: The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks.
Yes, I’ve read this book and, yes, it made me cry. Shameful and ridiculous, I know, but you have to know that someone tricked me into reading it!!! And I definitely read it long before the movie came out.

6. One book that you wish had been written: What?
Are you serious? Don’t make me be creative.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
The Prayer of Jabez, by Bruce Wilkinson, or Babbitt, but Sinclair Lewis. During my junior year in college, I actually wrote an entire paper about how shoddy Bruce Wilkinson’s exegesis of Jabez’s prayer was. Our library didn’t have the book and I refused to purchase it, so I sat in our campus book store and read the entire volume. As for Babbitt…least entertaining novel. EVER!

8. One book you’re currently reading:
How (Not) to Speak of God, by Peter Rollins. I won this book in a contest at pomomusings. It’s my formal introduction to the emergent conversation. Once I finish it, I will be reviewing it. So far, it’s pretty great. A ton of people are already talking it up, including jonnybaker, TallSkinnyKiwi, Planet Telex, and Jesus Creed.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. This book is actually lying on my bed waiting for me to read it, but every night I have a choice between The Office on my iPod or Franz Kafka. So far, The Office is winning.

10. Now tag five people:
Tag yourself. Btw, got this meme from Jeff at Philosophy Over Coffee.

No comments: