Blasts From The Past

Digging through all my stuff, preparing for my move, I've come across some childhood trinkets that have reminded me that I've actually had a wonderful life. Hope you're ready for some pictures!

Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. My mother made Sleepy Time Bear one Christmas when she couldn't afford the "real" Care Bear that I wanted so desperately. My four year old eyes never noticed the difference. My twenty-five year old eyes treasure the difference.


Sometime before age ten, I fell in love with my full name. One day, at the county fair, we found this delightful, pink and purple, heart-over-the-"I," wooden rendition of my beautiful name...



Just a few weeks after I got it, I dropped it...





No worries, though, my Marvelous Mom fixed it for me every single time it broke. I've had it for over 15 years and I've finally decided to get rid of it. These pictures will be my only remembrance. Thank you Flickr.

Finally, we have my foal rug. I don't even remember the last time this was on a floor rather than rolled up crammed into a poster tube. But it still reminds me when I used to take naps on it. ;)



What fun it was to be a kid. Sometimes I still wish I was small enough for someone to play airplane with me or swing me by my arms.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

The rug and that bear are proof that you don't need a lot of money to give a child cherished memories. Your mom sounds fabulous. Lucky, lucky you.

Kate said...

She is and I am!

Just Sarah said...

The Care Bear made me tear up. My grandmother made me a cabbage patch doll...but I have to say that one of my most treasured items as a child was a Strawberry Shortcake sweatshirt, purchased from the thrift store...I couldn't have been happier with "new" clothes.