Lost?

This morning I got lost driving to a place I've gone almost every weekend for several months. I don't know what happened. My mind must have been wandering because I missed my exit and didn't realize it until I'd already driven about five miles out of my way.

I don't own a smart phone and I didn't have my car GPS with me. It took me nearly forty-five minutes more than it should have to navigate my way back to the trail head. I nearly started crying because all I could think about was how it was getting hotter and hotter with each passing minute.

I'd planned to be on the trail by 5:15, at the latest. I wasn't even parked until 6:20.

I started, anyway, fully intending to still complete 18 miles, assuming the 50 ounces of Gatorade and 50 ounces of water would get me through even though I was going to be running in a higher than expected temperature.

Normally, I run a 3/1 run/walk ratio. I adjusted to 1:30/1 and got started. For the first 6 miles, that worked. Then the sun started to pound on me and I switched the run/walk portions. That worked well for another couple of miles.

Then, at mile 8, as I was approaching the part of the trail with the least shade, I realized my Gatorade was completely gone. My additional water supply was still 2.5 miles away. And I was feeling wrecked.

Also, my shoes were not feeling great. I think this is it for me and Altras. I'm sad about the parting but, somehow, they just don't work with my feet. Maybe I'll try them again someday.

I gutted it out for the last couple of miles, walking A LOT, and was more grateful than I can say to get back to my car, then back to my house where a cool shower and breakfast awaited. Mmmm... chocolate milk.

I keep hearing that "summer miles bring fall smiles." Hoo boy, that saying better be accurate or I will rage. Quietly. To myself.

And, since I like to reward myself with food (another bad habit I need to start working on), today's debacle of a run will be soothed with my favorites from the Wegmans Wokery. Even though the run sucked, it still earned me 1450 extra calories for the day. So, there are perks.

6 comments:

Ali K. said...

It's impressive that you finished the full distance in that sun and heat. I almost always cop out. Nice job!

Kate said...

Thanks, Ali. I was actually supposed to do 18 today... If there had been any shortcuts in the loop, I'm pretty sure I would have taken them all. :P

Abigail said...

18.

1.


8.


Just planning to do 18 is impressive. I'm impressed.

Kate said...

Well, as my previous post indicated, I have no social life, so I have plenty of time to put in the miles.

Unknown said...

Great job getting it done. Todays heat and humidity were brutal. Challenges in life make us stronger. You showed you have the strength and courage to keep going. Great work.

Debsdailylife said...

Summer miles bring fall smiles. Ive never heard that!! BUT, I like it!! Ill have to remember that one!!!