Mary Katharine Ham: Not Hideously Unattractive

Recently, a blogger made some comments about my friend Mary Katharine Ham. I certainly don't begrudge him his opinion, but I would like to point out that Hugh Hewitt asked Mary Katharine Ham to blog with him and, furthermore, MKH was being paid to do so.

Unfortunately, after Mary Katherine linked to the post in good fun, a few commenters (none of whom were MKH, despite what you may be led to believe by the Abbot's comments below) decided to hijack the comments section of the Abbot's blog and turn it into a rather silly personal attack on Mary Katharine Ham, which involved negative comments about both the Abbot and MKH. The problem was that rather than criticizing the content of either bloggers' words, these hijackers went straight for appearances. Because of this and because he wasn't interested in blogging for the public, the Abbot decided to disallow commenting. It's truly unfortunate that the Abbot felt forced to take such a step, but it just proves that {insert colloquialism here}.

Anyway, I am here to assure you that Mary Katharine Ham is, in fact, not only "not hideously unattractive" (as one of the commenters allowed), but even rather pretty! And, here, to support my opinion, is a picture taken just last night.

See the white teeth, shiny locks, well-plucked brows and slender wrist? She's a beaut 'n' ain't no one can tell me different! Everyone, give it up for Mary Katherine Ham!!! And read her blog if you aren't put off by conservative politics (or even if you are), she's quite a funny and insightful young woman.

7/21/06 - edited to make it clearer that I was criticizing the bastardly commenters, not the Abbot himself. Though, after the words below, I'm not entirely sure why I care, especially since my readsership is about 10 people.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And your "friend" initiated the comments about appearances by implying that I was a "chubby female who couldn't get a date." Someone else chimed in a about Mary Catherine's appearance, soon after which I removed all comments. If she's such an intelligent person, why was she surfing random blogs looking for comments about her, getting all upset about her name being misspelled, and then defending her abilities as a writer by stating she was paid by Hugh to be a guest blogger, as if that proves anything. Give me a break. I didn't invite anyone to read my blog in the first place. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Anonymous said...

And another thing, I never criticized her writing or her views - WHICH I AGREE WITH IF YOU'D TAKE A MOMENT TO READ MY BLOG - only that she overdid it on Hugh's blog. I also find it difficult to believe any twenty-something could be very insightful about anything. Read the REPUBLIC for further reference on this point.

Kate said...

Dear Abbot,

As I said in my entry, you are entitled to your opinion and I welcome your comments. Thanks for stopping by.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Did you edit your original post? It seems different somehow.

Kate said...

I did, because your comments led me to believe that my intent was misunderstood and I wanted to clarify.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate that. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Heh...I had a comment here and then messed up the word verification and then the whole thing went away. Oh well. The gist of it was that the comments here were scary and I felt bad, even without reading into the rest of the back story...oh...and you can now count your readership as at least 11...which is sadly, more than mine :)

Anonymous said...

I think Mary Katherine is HOT. Honestly. Brains and Beauty

Anonymous said...

she's awesome on the bill oreilly show.

Anonymous said...

I love Mary Katherine Ham!

Anonymous said...

I love Mary Katherine Ham.

Anonymous said...

MKH is a Doll!

Anonymous said...

Mkh is absolutely gorgeous. I know that she quite intelligent but I don't ever really hear all that she is saying on oreilly because I am mesmerized by her beauty.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm shocked that anyone would ever accuse Mary Katharine of being unattractive. I think she's the most lovely female on Fox News. I came across this while looking for info about her. If you're reading this Mary Katharine, hi! I always watch your segments on the Factor. Keep up the good work.

David McEldowney said...

First off, I'm a 19 year old conservative and am quite a bit more insightful than some pseudo-intellectual fools who base their life philosophies on emotions like Plato rather than reason like Aristotle. So, the implication that all people under your designated age for achieving your amazing status of intellectualism is really stupid, Abbot. Mary Katherine Ham, in my opinion, is kinda cute. I don't know why. But she's definitely attractive in my opinion. I'll totally date her if she's single and looking, by the way. :)

MarchHare said...

Mary Katherine Ham,
I am a old scruffy Viet Nam vet.
I was sitting down to eat lunch yesterday and happen to see your talk to young staffers and interns at the Claire Boothe Luce Booth Policy Seminar in the dark recesses of the Rayburn House Building basement(?).
I thoroughly enjoyed your comments.
I found you to be honest, sincere, disarming and often humorous.
It is so nice to see and hear someone in Washington talk form their heart and mind and not see their eyes following a "tela-prompter".
I have lived long enough to have come to the conclusion that if you see or hear something you like and respect to let the person know you acknowledge the effort and sincerity.
And kudos to your "negotiator"-"you done good girl!"
And contrary to what some others may say, my eyes didn`t hurt at all during the whole speech!
Martin