Because I Can't Resist A Chance To Rant

Another Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals. This time it's about pet peeves.

1. Grammatical pet peeve - I'm irritated by the careless interchange of homophones such as your and you're, their and they're and there. This is especially unacceptable when perpetrated by a generally well-educated person.

2. Household pet peeve - It's frustrating when the person who uses the last bit of toilet paper doesn't replace the role. I drink a lot, therefore, I pee a lot. Generally, I don't notice that the paper is gone until I'm already mid-pee. It's not a happy situation.

3. Arts & Entertainment pet peeve (movie theaters, restaurants, concerts) - Someone else who responded to the Friday Five already mentioned clapping between movements rather than waiting for the end of an orchestral piece, so I will have to go with clapping at the end of movies. Clapping should be reserved for live performers or possibly premiers, when those involved in the production of the movie are present. However, if one is in a theater in suburbia, watching with 50 or 100 other fat Americans, there is no need to applaud the recorded performance. Do you clap when you enjoy a television show at home??!!

4. Liturgical pet peeve - I've never understood the reason for repeating praise choruses again and again. If one pass at a theologically profound hymn is enough, why do we have to sing things like "mercy is falling," "famous one," and, my personal favorite, "na na nanananana." over and over and over again?

5. Wild card--pet peeve that doesn't fit any of the above categories - I can't stand the noise of chewing, especially when it's the only noise. Chips and other crunchy items are the worst. The unfortunate part of this pet peeve is that you can't really ask someone to stop chewing...

Bonus: Because all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God: What do YOU do that others might consider a pet peeve? - I have probably been the perpetrator of both 1 and 2 above, but my mom always hated my habit of leaving dirty glasses scattered around the house. As a child, this often resulted in moldy orange juice and crusted on milk in the bottoms of a multitude of glasses. I'm not as bad about this now because I mostly drink water and often use my Nalgenes, but there are still times that the dirty dishes simply overflow from the sink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really hot here today, and since our house is not air-conditioned, the glass of milk my daughter didn't finish had curdled by the time I noticed it this evening. Bleh!

Kate said...

I don't think I could live without air conditioning. I'm such a spoiled American!