Johnny Depp! Orlando Bloom! How Can You Go Wrong?!

As far as I'm concerned...you can't. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest may not have been an epic film, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. It definitely felt like the second movie of a trilogy, but I was able to get past that. Basically there was a lot of action with little to no resolution and more questions than answers.

There were a lot of gross scenes that I could have done without. Just a few examples: the cages made of human bone, Bootstrap Bill with barnacles growing out of the side of his face, Captain Jack covered in Kraken phlegm (ew!)... Maybe they were trying just a little bit too hard to "top" the first movie. I feel like they could have just as easily made it "as good as" the first movie and people would have been pleased.

Andrea and I went to see the first movie shortly after it came out, maybe even the first day (memory fails me). We were just out of college and unemployed, so a movie in the middle of a weekday was still an option. I found the first edition entertaining and fun. That's all I really expected from the second and that's what I got.

Many people have complained that the film was too long. I don't share that opinion. There was not a moment when I felt the need to check the time. Though it was a long film, it was entertaining throughout.

My favorite moment had to be the fight scene on the beach between Captain Jack, Will Turner and the ruined Commodore. Keira Knightley's ability to portray the frustration of being the only sensible person in a situation was downright hilarious. Another favorite moment occurred when Jack "paid" the witch(?) for her services...

Jack: (holds up cage with monkey) Look, an undead monkey. (shoots monkey who merely shrieks and continues his attempts to get out of the cage)
Witch: Payment is fair.

The bottom line is, I like Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, and Bill Nighy enough that it would take quite a dismal, unentertaining movie for me not to enjoy their performances. It's worth a watch, even if you just wait for the DVD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooo...I agree!!! I LOVED Pirates II regardless of the critics. What do they know, anyway?