Marathon Plans

So, I'm a nerd and my nerdiness has a tendency to overflow into all aspects of my life. Other people might just enjoy a hobby or sport or whatever... but I have to research them. I love reading about it all, looking over diagrams, and learning everything I can.

Right now, I'm in the midst of my running thing. I'm starting to look into the best training plan for the marathon I want to do next summer.

I've been finding that a lot of the typical running advice is contradicted in training plans. The most glaring example of this is the weekend long run. Coaches and magazines and websites and seasoned runners will say that the weekend long run should be only 25-30% of a runner's mileage for the week. Then, the plans they put together have long runs that consist of 50% or more of weekly mileage. URGH!

Anyway, I have been hearing about Hanson's Marathon Method and decided to read it. I'm getting into it. Nothing to report yet but I'm sure I'll geek out about it as I read.

4 comments:

ctf said...

Im looking at Hal Higdens. It would start me mid January to train for the Bob Potts Marathon in May. Craaaaaaay. What the...

Kate said...

That's awesome, Stacey. I used HH for my first half. I'm considering the possibility of getting a custom training plan from a coach for my marathon. It's around $100 but it would be nice to have something that's customized to my life, fitness, and goals. Anyway, I still have several months to research and decide.

Ali K. said...

By the end of most plans, they have you running 18 during the week, so you're not increasing TOO much on weekends. But yeah, I've noticed that marathon training flies in the face of professional running advice lol.

Kate said...

It wouldn't bother me so much that there was contradiction if books didn't contradict themselves. "Long runs shouldn't be more than 30% of weekly mileage." Then Appendix A: Training Plans goes against that advice. Stupid heads. They need better editors for these running books. I'd never let that slide.