I Weighed Myself Yesterday

Yep, for the first time since the April 29, which was the day after I completed my first half marathon, I stepped on a scale. That's close to four months between weigh-ins. I've definitely gone longer not knowing my weight but never when I was in the midst of trying to lose poundage.

I wasn't surprised to see that the reading on the scale had gone up 7 pounds since that last weigh-in. I can't even honestly say that I'm surprised by how much it went up.

Before I started changing my lifestyle last year, I was likely tipping the scales somewhere between 270 and 280. Despite the recent gain, I'm still down 50 or 60 pounds. That is a huge accomplishment. I am much healthier now. Yay me! The problem is that I'm letting the bad habits that got me to within striking distance of 300 pounds to creep back into my lifestyle.

Taco Bell Beefy Five-Layer Burrito
Running is great. I'm learning to enjoy it even when it sucks. But it is not an excuse to eat whatever I want in quantities that would sustain a hard-working farm animal.

In fact, I'm quite sure that one of the reasons running has so frequently sucked for me lately is the crappy, processed, 1/3 French fries diet I have been "enjoying" for the past few months. If one of my veins was tapped, the liquid that came out might be partly blood but it would look greasy, like an oil slick.

I regularly feed myself large volumes of Taco Bell. And I don't go for the stuff that has vegetables in it. I get Beefy Five-Layer Burritos (refried beans, beef, sour cream, shredded cheese, and nacho cheese) and Crispy Potato Soft Tacos. Lots of "food" at a low price... Other fast foods are also in regular rotation.

Yesterday, I read a quote that hit me where I live: You'll never be able to outrun a bad diet.

Oh, geez. Way to call me out, anonymous.

I've made a lot of decisions over the past month or so to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon. Here I go again. This time, I am going to set reasonable goals just for the coming week, which happens to be the lead-up to my first and longest race of the fall season.

My food commitments for the week beginning Monday, August 26, are:
  1. to buy sufficient salad fixings for at least one meal per day,
  2. to not eat any fast food, despite the fact that I will be traveling (a time I usually let myself "cheat" continuously), and
  3. to not drink more than one soda per day (I think I am more caffeine addicted that I realize, so going cold turkey on this one just won't work).
I'll report back on my eating on September 2.

Are there any particular situations in which you find it easy to make poor food choices?
Do I have any fellow fast food junkies out there?

4 comments:

Ali K. said...

Running makes me so rungry, and I always crave unhealthy foods. I totally feel your pain on this one. I think your goals are realistic and fair. Go kick butt on your healthy lifestyle!


(There are SOME okay choices at fast food places if you're in a bind...and I find it's easier to watch calories in fast food than at a sit-down restaurant sometimes. But I totally get why you want to avoid it! Just don't want you to feel like you've failed if you eat a breakfast sandwich at McD's lol)

Katie said...

oh goodness. right there with you. I've been using food as a comfort more than usual lately...

I'm back at my heaviest weight and I hate it :(

Kate said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ali. I know there are healthy-ish options at fast food places, I just don't make those choices. At this point, my priority is to get better at making sure I have what I need at home to feed myself well. But, don't worry, I won't give it all up if I really get in a pinch and the only food option available is McD's. :) Part of what I need to do is make sure I'm prepared so such situations don't happen.

Katie, I've been right were you are two times in my life. I'm determined to keep it off this time but it's SO easy to let it all slide right back on. I think we need to reprogram ourselves to think of raw veggies as comfort food.

Anonymous said...

You've done amazingly well to reach your current stage but would do even better if you replaced the junk with healthier options.

Put the right fuel in & you'll get the right results out!

You WILL get there!