Passover: Only One Week Late

Last night, we celebrated Passover. We read some prayers, retold the story of the Exodus from Egypt, sang some songs, drank lots of wine and ate a wonderful meal. (Click on the picture at the right to see a slideshow of our evening.)

It all began around 2:30, when Jordan and I headed over to the CRW apartments to begin preparation for the meal. It took nearly four hours to grate the potatoes and onions and fry the latkes, grill the honey lime chicken, chop the apples and walnuts for the charoset, and steam the broccoli.

The seder began around 6:30. Including me and Jordan, there were nine people in attendance. Each person brought their own bottle of wine. I'm not a fan of most wine that I've had, but last night I discovered that I love Manischewitz wine. It is incredibly sweet and very grape-y. People who like wine would probably hate this stuff, but I drank almost an entire bottle of my alcoholic grape juice. Mmmmm...

Jordan modified the Haggadah so that it wouldn't take five hours. The whole event was very interactive, with each of us reading different parts at various times. He didn't modify it to make it Messianic, we simply celebrated the beauty of the Jewish traditions. He also didn't take out any of the glasses of wine, so several of our friends got a little tipsy.

When the celebration was over, Lydia had a craving for a ice cream cookie sandwich, so a bunch of us took a trip to Halo Pub, where we enjoyed some tasty ice cream. It was a wonderful evening, with some of the best fellowship I've had in a while. There's something beautiful about gathering around food in worship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Katie. This is quite possibly the nerdiest party that I have ever heard about. Nerdy in a God way. Not that my sitting home by my self playing video games is much better.

Kate said...

Anonymous,

Nerdiest party? I'm sure the world full of Jews would love to hear that. :)

And...I would say that our party would not only be better than sitting home playing video games, but WAY better.

Heart,
Kate

Just Sarah said...

Apparently Maneschewitz is liked by many people that don't like wine (my aunt has developed a fondness for it). It's quite tasty, but I do prefer a slightly sweet wine (and less calories).

I'm glad you enjoyed the seder. It actually seems less nerdy than the Caribbean BBQ I threw for friends' birthdays.

I feel like the Easter season came and went and I wish to repair my lack of liturgical engagement by signing up for Sojourner's Pentecost 2007, if I can take the time off work!