There's No Such Thing As A Free Ride

Walking to the Metro this morning, an old, dark blue sedan pulled up beside me. The driver, an older man wearing sexual predator glasses (you know, the huge tortoise shell ones that make a person's eyes look five times bigger than they are), rolled down his window and announced, "I'm offering free rides to the subway this morning!"

It was raining a little bit, but nothing unmanageable. There was already a girl in the car with him.

Trying not to lie, I said, "Actually, I rather enjoy the walk, but thank you." In my head I was screaming, "Foolish girl!!! Get out of that car! What would your mother say??!!"

SPG replies, "Yeah, but it's raining."

"I'll be fine. Thank you."

The only other time a stranger has rolled down his window and asked me a question, I was six or seven. My friend Brandy and I were walking home from the pool when a similar sedan pulled up alongside us with a pantsless man inside who asked me for directions and showed me his penis. I yelled, "NO!!!", grabbed Brandy's arm and ran as fast as I could in the opposite direction of the car.

Needless to say, even though I'm now twenty-five and living in a more affluent neighborhood, I don't intend to ever get into a stranger's car unless I am accompanied by a strapping young bodybuilder. What was that crazy girl thinking?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a friend and I were just talking about all the crazy things women have to worry about that wouldn't even occur to a guy. If it was raining, and some guy pulled up next to me and asked me if I wanted a lift, I'd hop in without hesitation.