I Liked The Canadian, But I Love America


Emily and I watched the National Spelling Bee last night. If you've ever seen the documentary Spellbound, you know how amusing these sorts of events can be. I participated in regional spelling bees (one step before national) twice, so I know how stressful standing on that stage can be... I got seventh out of thirty the first year and third out of 30 the second year. They gave me an atlas for winning third place. I always wondered if they realized a dictionary would have made more sense.

It was the first time the Bee was ever telecast by a network AND the top three spellers were all girls! I was fond of the Canadian, but the persistent girl from New Jersey, who was there for the fifth time, won the whole thing.

Go Karry Close!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened to turn on the TV for the last few rounds of the spelling bee this year. My wife and I enjoyed it. The kids are amazing.

Like you, I was in spelling bees. I came in third at state my first year (I misspelled "emissaries"). I was fifth my second year (I misspelled "hodgepodge"). I got a set of Encyclopedia Brittanica my first year because the second place winner got to choose between something like a boombox (ca. 1960, we didn't have boomboxes then and transistor radios were fairly new) and the encyclopedia. Their choice: the boombox. I was glad.