Cyrus...My Real Hero

I wrote a post a couple months back about the movie Take the Lead. Currently, I am watching the documentary, Mad Hot Ballroom, that Take the Lead is very loosely based on. The Antonio Banderas movie was great, in a terrible way, but seeing the real life story is so much better. These are real inner-city 5th and 6th graders. Most of them are awkward, shy about touching the opposite sex, not interested in dancing like old people, etc., but they really come around.

I would say that my favorite kid, by far, is Cyrus. Pictures were not readily available, so I gave up, but he's on the website if you want to check it out. Just go to the website, click on "Cast." He's the one with the blonde afro under the heading Tribeca. Cyrus was a small wonder...surprisingly articulate whenever he opened his mouth.

Favorite quote from Cyrus, "I want to be an architect because when you're an architect, first of all, you can earn a lot of money and, second of all, it's the only job where you can really really use your imagination to make something. Like if I were gonna make that building, I wouldn't make it like that. That's a really ugly, boring building."

Swing seemed to be the dance that the kids got into most. Made me want to learn to dance. Take it from me, real fifth graders awkwardly dancing is much more inspirational than a bunch of 20-something year old actors/professional dancers pretending to be high school kids. See Mad Hot Ballroom, as long as you have a heart you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love swing - I think it is the most fun thing I have ever done.