Thanksgiving With the Jews

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but Jordan is Jewish. His mother is Jewish, therefore...well, you get the picture. What is he doing at seminary, you may ask. Well, both Jordan and his mother are now Christians, so it's not as strange as it may sound. Anyway, since I hang out with Jordan quite a lot, I get to hang out with his Jewish family.

We spent Thanksgiving Day in Kensington, Maryland, at Jordan's uncle's house. Most of his mother's side of the family was there. Two of her sisters were missing, one in Jamaica, the other in Israel, but there were plenty of people to fill the house. It was crowded and noisy and wonderful, possibly one of the best Thanksgivings I've ever had. Mostly we just had all the traditional Thanksgiving fixin's, but the three youngest cousins keep kosher, so there were some extra dishes for them.

Jordan's grandmother loved me, though I think she based her affection almost entirely on my ability to clean my dinner plate. Go me! We got into some interesting theological conversations with Mike, Jordan's uncle about the formation of both Scripture and the ancient nation of Israel. Made me thankful for my training in the Old Testament. And, of course, I took tons of pictures. If you want to take a look at the slideshow, just click the picture above. I hope your Thanksgiving was as lovely as mine.

No comments: