Pete Rollins Has Landed

In fact, he landed nine or ten hours ago. It's possible that he'll read this post, so I guess I should make some glowing remarks. ;) Or, I suppose I could simply say that his stay seems to be going well so far, from my perspective.

This evening, we had our dinner followed by conversation at Charlie Brown's. He successfully put up with us seminary students griping about classes and tossing about inside jokes during dinner. If I were Pete I probably would have been relieved when some non-seminary folk showed up to join the conversation, but he seemed to take it all in stride.

Our conversation touched on many different points. We explored the idea that all revolution eventually becomes institutionalized. Pete discussed how his community, Ikon tries to fight that by continually seeking new ways to rupture people's presuppositions and expectations. He even joked that he's been worried about the folks at Ikon losing their angst. We also had some discussion around the idea of boundaries. Is anything out of bounds in a community that is constantly seeking discomfort? How does one have passion for what sometimes seems like non-belief?

Pete didn't give us any pat answers. I doubt anyone expected him to. But, he did give us thoughtful, coherent answers. I know that I've been challenged to think. I'm looking forward to his lecture tomorrow evening and the questions that will follow That event takes place Thursday, November 30, 7 p.m., in Stuart Hall, Room 6, Princeton Theological Seminary. If you're interested in attending but would like more information, please feel free to send me an email at katherinejelliott at gmail dot com.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I must say, I'm rather jealous that a bunch of you got to have dinner with him. I snuck into a class that he was speaking at and attended the chapel service he did at Drew. There was a lunch/book-signing, but there really wasn't an opportunity for close conversation. (I'm not big on Q and A time...I'd rather let the conversation go where it will). I'm also in the middle of reading his book (which, if you haven't read it yet, is fantastic).

Anyway...yeah. I'm jealous. :-)

Kate said...

It was fun to get a chance to talk with him. Two of the three events we planned for Pete's stay are pretty informal. I'm not a huge fan of Q&A times either because it's so didactic, non-conversational.

I've read the book...twice now. It is excellent!