Not Adding A Single Hour To My Life

Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht have made their fortunes by giving people advice about how to deal with worst-case scenarios. They've authored books on everything from travel to dating and sex. There are games, calendars, cards, and even a TV series based around the theme of escaping dangerous situations.

I don't know about you, but I don't need any help imagining the worst-case scenario. In the summers after my sophomore and junior years of college, I traveled around in a fifteen passenger van with a drama team. Those of us in the back rarely wore seat belts. During long drives, my mind would wander, and I would think about what would happen to my body if we got hit by different types of vehicles at various speeds and angles.

Since Monday, I've been coming up with worst-case scenarios, all of which result in me never seeing Jordan again. I have to keep reminding myself that statistics are in my favor (after all, the average American male lives to the ripe old age of 80). Am I crazy or does everyone have thoughts like these?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that book! I just gave it to my friend Eryn for Christmas, in memory of the time we nearly had to jump out of a moving taxi to escape :)

Kate said...

I've only read bits while in the book store. Seems like it would be a fun Christmas gift, though. Good choice!

Anonymous said...

:) thanks... but as for your real question, yes, I am constantly coming up with freakishly fatalistic scenarios, sometimes to the point where I nearly make myself cry. Silliness.