So Jealous!

That's what you are. Last night, there was a concert here at PTS, in Miller Chapel. The front of the program is pictured at right. The Welcome Wagon basically consists of Vito and Monique Aiuto. Apparently, Vito is a graduate of PTS. One might wonder how long ago he graduated, though, because he didn't even remember that finals happen after Christmas.

I enjoyed the show. It was pretty simple. This band isn't recorded...they haven't hit it in the big time and I don't know that they even want to. The musical style was sort of emo bluegrass, minimalist in a way. Monique and Vito mostly borrowed all the words and wrote all the music. They also sang a cover or two and at least one original song.

They got their title from the idea of the welcome wagons that used to greet settlers who were moving across the country with tasty vittles and local products in an attempt to get them to stay in a particular town. In keeping with their name, they brought several local treats from Brooklyn to give away as prizes. Two oatmeal raisin pumpkin pies (interesting...sounds gross) and some traditional Polish food.

You may be asking yourself, "So, why on earth am I jealous? It sounds like a nice concert, but nothing special." Well, other than the fact that I actually loved little Vito and Monique, you should be jealous because they were "ably assisted" by Sufjan Stevens on piano and banjo. Yes, Mr. and Mrs. Aiuto are friends with Mr. Stevens and he made the jaunt from Brooklyn with them to perform at our little free seminary concert. I actually wasn't aware that he would be there until I was already at the concert and someone who may have been there just for a Sufjan sighting pointed him out. :) So, you're jealous that I got a free concert with Sufjan included, even though, I think the concert would have been just peachy without him, I'm not complaining.

And, anyway, I gained some amusement from watching my fellow students gawk and wrestle with themselves as to whether they would rush Mr. Stevens for autographs and sophisticated music elitist conversation. Hilarious!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i am jealous :) He has a "song for Vito's Ordination" on his michigan CD, and as soon as I read Rev' Vito on that program, I knew...

I got his christmas album as an early christmas gift - LOVE IT!! :)

son of right hand said...

Kate,
I came looking for your review of 'How Not to Speak of God' and saw this post. I must confess that I too was one of your fellow seminarians stuck in the throws of indecision as to whether or not I should go talk with the illustrious mr. stevens. Ultimately I was 'that guy' and went and talked to him. He seemed like a fairly nice guy, though not surprisingly I think I was more excited about meeting him than he was about meeting me. Afterwards I was embarrassed about not having the restraint to play it cool and talk with everyone in the band except the famous guy. Oh well. As a whole the show was great. I really enjoyed it a lot.
And back to Mr. Rollins, do you have a review of his book? (you said you had written one) I am thinking of getting it for a few people and was wondering if was accessible enough for people who arent into postmodernism to stay interested in?
Thanks, see you in Hebrew... speaking of which, I am glad that were doing 2 chapters this week. Obviously we have lots of extra time right now. I dont have, say 3 10 page papers due in the next two weeks.
Ben

Kate said...

RGRrrrrr....I have his Christmas album as well. We listened to it the other night while drinking hot cocoa and playing poker.

Ben, I do have a review of Pete's book. I would say it's a good read even if one isn't into the whole postmodern scene. I'll email you the link.

Tim Hughes said...

well, i too made the awkward decision to go force myself on sufjan. sometimes you have to make that choice. i would do it again. actually, i did do it again. hm...

Kate said...

I've made that awkward decision with other artists at other concerts, but decided I would have had nothing really to say to Sufjan. For goodness' sakes, I didn't even recognize him despite the fact that I have almost all of his albums. I'm such a bad groupie.

Dan Morehead said...

Nice...that's totally cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey can you get me some recordings of welcome wagon, I heard "Sold! to the nice rich man" by them on pandora, but i havent been able to find anything else by them

Kate said...

Hey Anonymous,

Unfortunately, I don't know how I would go about getting such recordings. I think you'll have to hunt around yourself. Honestly, I'm surprised they were on Pandora, since I thought they didn't have any recorded albums.

Kate