Poetry Is Hard

For my class on the Epistle to the Hebrews, I have to write a paper reflecting on all of or some portion of the first six chapters of the letter. Dr. Wagner encourages creativity, so our reflections can take the form of art, poetry, or music if we would rather not pursue the more traditional formats.

So, because I've been feeling a little more artsy and less smartsy lately, I've chosen to write a little poetry. (My next project will probably take the form of photography.)

Some of you might think I'm taking the easy way out with all this creativity nonsense, but let me tell you, it's mighty difficult to write a poem that isn't complete garbage. Perhaps Dr. Wagner and Amy Peeler don't know good poetry from bad, but I doubt that's the case.

Letting the text guide my words without letting them put me in a strait jacket is tricky. Finding exactly the right words and transitions to express what I want to is like walking on a high wire. I probably could have written a more traditional reflection in less than an hour, but I've been agonizing over this poem for the past two days!

Maybe this is just my way of avoiding the other work that I have to do... Who knows? Whatever it is, it's a good thing it's satisfying because it's taking a freaking long time!

No comments: