Emotional Schemotional

I've often been accused of being unemotional. Reacting to news, good or bad, is tough for me. What it boils down to is that I don't want to react the wrong way, so I react no way at all.

What I've discovered is that no reaction is the wrong reaction in many cases, especially when friends are sharing terrific news like "I'm getting married!" "We're having a baby!" "I got a promotion!" No matter what may be going on inside me, my standard reaction is, "That's nice. Want a piece of gum?"

Last night, Matt, Evan, Daniel, Jordan and I were sitting in Applebee's enjoying some half-price appetizers. (Yay quesadilla for $2.50!) Since Valentine's Day is coming up, Evan and Daniel started talking about their long-distance loves, past Valentine's, etc.

Lately, Evan's girlfriend has been putting a little pressure on about getting a ring. (Evan intends to propose at some point, but she wants it sooner rather than later...) This conversation prompted a story from Daniel about a college friend who proposed to his girlfriend in Prague. Apparently, the guy set the whole thing up well in advance and managed to surprise his girlfriend with a love poem, which was planted behind a brick in the Charles Bridge four months earlier, and his unexpected presence and a ring.

Previously, such stories would have made me say, "Awww, how cute" and then I would move on with the conversation. Last night, though, the only woman with four men, I began to blush and involuntarily grin and feel butterflies in my stomach. What an inconvenient time to become a girl!

So, maybe I used to be such a jerk about good news because I was jealous. I suppose that's a possibility which I have to face. While I'm dealing with that, though, if you have some good news, Kate is available for girlie reactions.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

and i'm sure the fact that you're dating someone and all emotional over him has nothing to do with it. ;)

much love,

tuf

Kate said...

I know that has something to do with it, but shouldn't I have been happy for my friends even if I was lonely?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your just better able to relate now?

Kate said...

Hmmmm...I suppose that is a possibility. Thank you for the suggestions that make me seem less like an ogre. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

You are many things...Ogre is NOT one of them.

Just Sarah said...

While in the past you might not have been over gushy, you also were very sympathetic to pain and offered great solace and laughs and wonderful friendship in the shape of booze and chocolate when needed. You just don't dwell on things as much, it seems. You aren't the diva that I apparently seem to be.

But, for 1/2 a sec when I saw the ring, I thought maybe you had been offered one and my heart was in my throat for you.

It will happen some day...and I will be very happy for you.

Kate said...

If I got a ring, certain people would get phone calls before it was posted on the internet. If you're the Sarah I think you are, you would be in the top ten.

Just Sarah said...

In the top ten. Woo-hoo! That reminds me-I owe you a call!

Happy V-day!