Things I Hate To Do When I'm Sick...

-be awake
-move from my bed
-eat food

On Friday night, I had a tiny sore throat. It didn't seem like a big deal. I thought it might just be an allergic reaction to inhaling cigarette smoke.

Woke up Saturday morning, still had a sore throat, but it wasn't that bad. However, as the day progressed, my sore throat got worse, my body became achy all over, and I developed a headache and a fever. I spent most of Saturday afternoon and evening curled up on my newly acquired papasan couch, drifting in and out of feverish sleep. Jordan (who never gets sick) brought me ginger ale and crackers since I couldn't make it to dinner. He even risked getting whatever I had by staying with me for a while.

Sunday was more of the same, except with a hacking cough that was awful enough to prompt my neighbor to ask if I needed any medicine. No, no medicine, thank you. I'll just let it run its course. I felt better enough to read for my classes, but not better enough to stir from my room much.

It's the third day now...I can tell it's coming to an end, but I still have to get through the congestion and residual cough. Should be an awesome time to be among other human beings. I can't wait for the looks that range from why-are-you-here-among-the-living to I'm-so-sorry-do-you-need-some-ginger-ale?

Which leads me to a final question: Who on earth taught our mother and their mothers and their mothers that ginger ale was good for sickness?

3 comments:

timollie said...

well, the ginger in the gingerale is good for an upset stomach, but really it's just comfort food :)

My mom never gave me gingerale for a cough though...

hope you feel better soon!

Melissa said...

Ditto the above comment...I get ginger ale now when I'm sick mainly for the comfort aspect!

Tuffy said...

i'm leaving a comment here, really just so i can check out what i've been working on and see how it works in comments. just disregard me...

but for the record, i do hope you're feeling better. :)