My Most Recent Books...

Another post in less than two weeks. Imagine that! So, here are some pictures of the books I made most recently. Enjoy!

This flowered one is teeny, but still big enough to write in, only 3 x 4 inches. I used the scraps from the other books I made while at Jordan's house. My favorite detail is the way I placed the holes for stitching. It's a bit difficult to see in this picture, but I made reverse Vs, in opposite directions on each side.

This one is 4 x 6 inches. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect size to carry everywhere you go to be used as a journal, a sketchbook, a dayplanner of your own design. And, like the flowered book above, it's reversible, you can choose which side is the front and which side is the back.

Here we have one that's a little less traditional. It's 4 x 7 inches, which isn't unmanageable or weird looking, but it is a little thinner than a book would normally be. The thread I used is a vibrant blue. If you look closely, you can see that I pasted an extra dot on the front. That's because I made a mistake. Glue is sometimes not my friend.
You might not think about it much, but square books are a lot of fun. I love the proportions of them. The pattern on the front is beautiful and I used a complementary red metallic paper for the back. It wrinkled a little from the glue but, as far as mistakes go, it was a fortuitous one.

Now we have a smallish one, 4 x 5 1/2 inches, covered in blue, white and purple flowers on one side and blue, brown, purple, and green stripes on the other. I originally picked the paper for myself, but now realize it would probably be more appropriate as a gift for a little girl.

I've used the paper covering the book to the right before. I love how there is just one heart in the middle of all those dots. This one is the same size as the red dotted one above, just a few pages thicker. I love the back cover, too, but I didn't want to include to pictures.


And, finally, there's this lovely 5 x 7 job that is covered on the front with an abstract floral print and on the back in creamy paper with darker flecks throughout. The grass green thread may not seem to coordinate in this picture, but it looks great in real life.

I've listed a few of these over at Etsy and should have the rest up in the next few days. I've been getting a lot of hits, but no purchases on books so far. Maybe when Valentine's Day gets a little closer some folks will be poking around for a great gift and will decide one of my books would be perfect. Here's hoping.

If you would like to see some more shots of these books, you can hop over to my flickr page and check out my set called Bound and Determined.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THEM ALL!!! ALL OF THEM I LOVE!!! You could open your own store - sell cool skirts and scarfs and books and photos. Or you could have a booth here at the Farmer's Market...SERIOUSLY!

And, if you want to come to my baby shower, we'll pay for your bus ticket... April 5.

Kate said...

I'm glad you like them, Yoda! Believe me, if I could start such a business with very little investment, I would jump right in. It's the 3-5 years that most small businesses take to be profitable and my insane amounts of school debt that run that idea right out of my head.

Baby shower...mmmmm...

LittleMary said...

wow. they are awesome. how does one buy them? seriously they are amazing.

Kate said...

Well, I'm glad you asked. For almost all of the ones I've shown in this post, you can go to my Etsy shop. If you are interested in one that I've not yet listed, you can just drop me a line here or on Etsy and I will put up a listing for you.

Thanks for the compliments! Also, I'm a big fan of custom work, so that's always an option, too.