Another...and Another

The bookbinding bug lives! I can't stop myself. I see beautiful paper and I want...NO, I need, to make it into a book. Since last Friday, I've made two more pretty things and thought y'all might like to see a few pictures.

A Book for Me

This one I made especially for me. The paper on the front cover called to me from the shelf as I was in Michael's one day. It probably would have made me happy to use it on the back, as well, but some part of me likes to have variety, so I chose a coordinating sheet, which is not visible in this shot, but it provided the green dot visible in the top right corner. Another bit of the J.Crew shoebox was used for the cover board and some green embroidery floss sacrificed itself for the binding. I made the book over 500 pages. Yes, that is a lot, but I like big fat books. Believe me, it's perfect!
Side Detail
This book is my first commissioned job. Jordan's mom wanted to give one of her students a sketchbook/journal for Christmas, so she bought the supplies and I made the book. Basically, she bought a regular sketchbook and I used the thick board on the back and the pages to make a pretty sketchbook. My habit of binding too tightly came into play, so I built in an elastic strip to keep it closed.

These pictures are my favorites, but don't show much detail, so if you want to see more check out my picture set of homemade books.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

One downside about subscribing to your blog is that I'm often too lazy to leave comments.

The books forced me to, though.

I've always wanted to learn book-making, and I've really been enjoying your finished books. They're wonderful!

Kate said...

Bookmaking is a very fun process and, I have to say, it's fairly simple for anyone who might be even remotely skilled with a needle. However, it's also pretty time-consuming, which might be more daunting to me if I had 3 and a half kids in tow. ;)

Though, from start to finish, one book takes me about four hours, and that includes everything from folding the paper to the last stitch, so maybe it would be more doable than I make it sound. Also, as long as you're not an elitist, it's pretty inexpensive.