I'm Not a Blogger

I wonder if anyone reads this blog. None of my friends knows about it, so it seems unlikely that I am developing a huge audience.

I've been thinking a lot about my faith lately. Brian McLaren's book, Generous Orthodoxy, is resonating somewhere deep in my soul. He's written so much that I completely agree with, but could barely express without using the phrase "I don't know" every other sentence.

It seems that is part of the point of the Emergent Church movement; the ability to admit one's lack of understanding seems paramount. How could it be otherwise in discussions about God? Every day I become more convinced that what little I think I know about following Jesus
is probably mostly wrong.

I have a Livejournal account. I wrote about my interest in the Emergent Church movement and someone had the nerve to (anonymously) ask me if I really wanted to go to seminary. I was under the impression that seminary was not a place in which to be indoctrinated, but a place in which to grow in our understanding of God and our ability to help others along their faith journey as well. Alas, I'm not terribly surprised that I got such a reaction.

I just hope that attending seminary will help me to better serve the world.

No comments: