Purpose-Driven Choice?

I know I haven't posted in a while. Get over it. I also realize that I haven't followed through on my promise to write about my view of homosexuality...I'll get to it. Just let me find the words. Right now, I have something completely different on my mind.

I'm a little riled up about something; more riled up than I ever would have expected, actually. I'm rather disappointed in Obama's decision to have Rick Warren pray at his inauguration. There are many reasons why people object to this choice. Some are displeased because he has a problem with homosexual behavior. Others are upset because they don't think religion should be included in civil ceremonies. I have to admit, I agree with both of these groups a bit.

But, that's not my main objection to Senator Obama's choice. I think his choice is bland, made for political reasons and, thereby devoid of positive spiritual meaning. There's no way Obama could make a choice that would please everyone, but this choice may please too many. To my mind, Rick Warren represents pop religion. Honestly, I would be very surprised if Obama had been impacted by him in any significant way and that seems dishonest.

I am aware that Rick Warren has done charitable work in Africa and other places, but so have many other spiritual leaders that Obama could have chosen. I also realize there is something important about reaching out to and representing different demographics during the transition to a new administration, but I wonder if prayer is the proper venue through which to do so. And, if it is the proper venue, shouldn't he choose someone who would appeal to an even broader demographic than Rick Warren, such as a Catholic priest or a woman?

This morning, as I was discussing this choice with a friend and her parents and I was surprised to find that I began tearing up as I mused about why Obama hadn't chosen Jesse Jackson. Jackson wept over Obama's election, it would be a brilliant and meaningful statement to have him pray over Obama's presidency. Rick Warren just feels like the same old thing to me instead of a representative of the change our new president promised.

This doesn't seem like enough, but I think my thoughts might come together better in conversation. So, I'd love to hear what you think. Does it matter who prays? Should there even be prayer during civil ceremonies?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would, of course, prefer a lack of prayer or religious anything in civil ceremonies, but believe it or not that's not a huge deal to me.

I think Obama's trying to throw the people who didn't vote for him and reconcilliatory bone here. The kind of morons who think he's a "secret black power Muslim" would go absolutely ape if he let someone like Jackson do it, and even if they're a small minority, they're extremely vocal and could be damaging to his administration.

He picked one of the less controversial figures of upper-middle class white America's pop religion to try and mollify people and build unity.

I disagree with his decision, but I can understand why he did it.

LittleMary said...

amen sister. all of this irks me too. big time.

Susan May said...

I think prayer is a fitting part of the ceremony. He will need all the help he can get. There's a reason Rick Warren has a broad appeal. I personally believe he is a very good choice, and a very principled leader. Jesse Jackson, in my personal opinion, has far fewer principles. Just giving you my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've been traveling in the U.S., and haven't checked in with your blog for awhile. Have a great New Year.